CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

If it sounds too good to be true... it probably is.

Today about 2 minutes before I was about to close up shop and go home for the day, I had a lovely middle aged couple come through our drive through with a Offical Check drawn off of our bank. It was for just under $3000 and this couple was eager to get it cashed. They didn't bank with us so I informed them of the $5 charge for non-customer check cashing and they readily agreed. Upon looking at the check for a few more moments, "red alert" went off quietly in the back of my mind. The check didn't look like any official check I had ever seen drawn off of our bank. I was advised to make a phone call to verify it's validity. Sure enough the check could not be validated and I was advised to proceed with caution. I kindly asked the good couple where they had obtained this check. They said it came in the mail telling them they had won some Irish lottery. AH HA! If that doesn't scream fraud, I don't know what does. I then went on to explain that the check was fraudulent and that they were victims of a common scam and that I would have to retain the check. Needless to say the happy couple became not so happy and looked at me with a great deal of suspicion as if I was trying to steal their lottery money. The wife went on to try to convince me why this was a legitimate check. After all, folks, it did come special delivery by way of DHL. I felt like asking them if they even played the lottery in Ireland... but I already knew the answer to that one. C'mon folks! Get it together!

1 comments:

Holli said...

Wow... some people

Post a Comment