CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Tanning Bed Trickery



Does anyone besides me find it annoying that you pay for these "sessions" at the tanning bed and even if you don't go in the for the maximum amount of tanning time you still lose that session? I know there are certain places with certain more expensive beds that you can pay per minute, but i strongly feel this should be made universal for ALL tanning beds and ALL tanning salons in order to prevent skin cancer. Yes, you heard me. They say the more you get sun burnt and the younger you are, the more it increases your chance for skin cancer.



I went to the tanning bed the other day to purchase Daniel and I some sessions. No we're not normal fake and bakers, but we wanted to build a base tan before our vacation in the British Virgin Islands in 2 1/2 weeks so that we don't spend the majority of our vacation in doors getting over a sun burn from the first day. I purchase 18 (9 each for me and Daniel) basic bed "sessions" at a little over $60. To some this may not be alot of money, but I'm not living in the most abundant financial times in my life. I handed over my check, picked out my sample tanning lotion while the girl told me the max time I could tan each session was 30 minutes. Now logically I know I shouldn't go the whole 30 minutes my first time. I thought 15 minutes might be just right, but then my whole "make every dollar count" mindset dropped in. I thought hey if I only go 15 minutes, shouldn't I have17 1/2 sessions left? Of course I knew the answer to that one so I didn't even bother to ask. Well, I wasn't about to let this tanning salon rip me off. I'm going the whole 30 minutes and they can't tell me otherwise! And that's what I did. Needless to say I have spent the last 3 days begging my husband to put some more aloe on my back and crying in the shower as the water hits my blistering body. Ok so I wasn't blistering, but I might as well have been! Do you see where I'm going with this? If I didn't feel the need to get the most bang for my buck not unlike many consumers today, I may have been less inclined to go for a full stupid 30 minutes and therefore avoided a seriously painful unpleasant sunburn, therefore decreasing my chances of skin Cancer. Somewhat. Opinion shared. Take it or leave it. And laugh at the ridiculousness of this blog if you will, but just remember, I'll have the last laugh when I'm on the beach in 2 1/2 weeks sipping margaritas and soaking up the sun minus the burn. Ok minus the Margaritas. Maybe just a glass of ice cold lemonade freshly squeezed with a little pink umbrella.

2 comments:

Holli said...

Cyd- I feel ya on the tanning bed. You know me, I can do some serious tanning. Lately, I've opted for the sunless, spray-on version that the salons now offer. Why? Because I've done what you've done too many times to count.

PS - Is that THE Steven Means? Oh, how I used to crush on him in Seventh grade!

James and Kresta said...

Hey Cyd this is Kresta Corder. I ran across your blog address on your facebook and thought I would drop by and say hi. I hope you have a wonderful trip! I am so jealous, that place sounds beautiful!

Post a Comment