CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Right Place, Right Time

This past Sunday was the first Sunday Mel and I could go to church together. We decided to attend our family ward, but after not being able to fall asleep, we decided to go to the singles branch in Cincinnati since it started earlier. For those of you unaware, Melody is a night shift nurse and I've pretty much switched to the same schedule. We sleep all day and stay up all night. Our typical bedtime is about 11 am and we usually wake around 6 pm. It is difficult to switch our sleep schedules around when there is something going on during the day, but Melody has expressed a desire to go back to church. In order to be more understanding of her situation, I'm trying to walk in her shoes. Of course I can't completely understand, but I am starting to understand the struggles of not wanting to go to church after staying up all night.
Our family ward starts at 1 and we were going to try to sleep at 4 am, and at least get a little rest. When we were unsuccessful in falling asleep, we decided to just stay up and go to the singles branch that started at 11. We pulled into the parking lot about 5 til, and I noticed young families walking into the building. Hmmm... this doesn't look right. Then the thought occurred to me that it was the first Sunday in the new year, and well.... it is likely that more than one ward met at this building. I felt frustrated b/c I didn't know anyone from this ward. I have friends in Liberty Ward and in the singles branch and I really want Melody to attend these two so that she can become comfortable with these people, especially the ones that are her age. Feeling exhausted and disappointed, we trudged inside and I inquired about the singles branch meeting time. Just as I suspected, they weren't meeting until 1. The people we were really friendly though and encouraged us to stay for their ward. I was reluctant, but didn't want to drive all the way back home without having attended Sacrament meeting.
I now know that us showing up at this ward, was no mistake. I don't believe that Melody nor I have felt in a very long time the Holy Ghost quite as strongly as we did in that meeting. It was obvious that the people of this ward weren't particularly well off. These people were humble and open about their shortcomings. There seemed to be a recurring message of hope and finding happiness. Every testimony given that day was inspiring and was exactly what Melody and I needed to hear. We weren't aware of it at the time, but we both cried the whole time. Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy. No matter what we have done, we are still His children and He will always forgive us. I think often we look at members of the church and think they have all led next to perfect lives. Attending the Norwood ward, we were able to see those who have made many mistakes, but through the power of the Atonement were able to come back unto Christ. It is possible. We are never too far off.

1 comments:

Holli said...

I loved this story. It touched my heart. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the "right place, right time" and heard a message answering the exact problem I was having.

Post a Comment