CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Why is moving so expensive?

Just when you think you are starting to get back on your feet, another major expense punches ya in the gut. I know moving is expensive, but c'mon. I booked services with a company called Broadway Express. You basically pack everything yourself, you are given 4 hours to load the truck, and they just do the driving of the goods from door to door. They provide all the ramps, dollies, blankets, straps, tie downs etc. It takes about 5-7 business days for delivery, but you stay in contact with the trucker the whole time so that you know where your "life' is. Sounds pretty good, right? Well here are the reasons for my stress: I didn't pack things as well as I should have. There are open boxes with miscellaneous items popping out that definitely need to be repacked. I also have a number of loose items that should probably also be put into a more uniform shaped box. Towards the end of packing, I was getting tired of Wal Mart trips and buying more boxes. I never had enough for some reason. I am also concerned that I didn't pack fragile items as carefully as I should've. I was originally planning on takin a Uhaul myself and driving my own stuff and therefore knew that my goods would be safe. Now that I'm sending all of my belongings in a semi truck that doesn't have quite the smooth ride that typical moving trucks would have, I fear the ride might be rough and things might break. I am also concerned about loading and unloading. I'm praying I have enough help both ways that I can get the job done in the time alotted to me, but I'm also concerned because I only have so much space and if I go over that reserved space it could cost quite a bit extra. I've also read many reviews about making sure to pack the truck carefully so that things don't shift and therefore break. Have I ever done this before? No. That worries me. I am also concerned about how a big semi is going to access my tiny storage unit in Gallipolis and then my apartment complex in Tucson. I don't think it's possible for a semi to pull into my complex without blocking numerous tenants in, which I'm sure won't fly. I'm hoping maybe someone kind in my new ward will bring a pick up truck to assist with this issue, but that might not be possible. Aside from figuring out all the details, Broadway Express's services are going to cost me a little under $1700. AGH. shoot me. There were other options that would've allowed me to spend a little less, and still many others that would cost much more. After weighing all the pros and cons, I decided Broadway was my best bet. I hope I'm right. I'm trying to elminate a little more stress, but paying a higher price. I can only hope it goes as smooth as possible. I'll keep ya posted. I will be on the road as of Mon. Feb 9 or Feb 10 at the latest. My first stop will be in Birmingham, AL and then I'll stop for a copule nights in Beaumont, TX to visit my bff Holli!! We haven't seen each other in 5 years I think... I can't wait to see her :) Friday I'll pick up my husband and then we'll finish our trip together to Tucson. I have a long drive ahead of me, but I'm glad I get to break it up a little with some fun.

2 comments:

Danny and Katherine said...

oh my goodness! you are such a brave girl. yay for finally being back together, tho. also, happy birthday... also also won't it be great when all of this mess is over?! of course, that's when something else comes up, but you know. moving cross country? that's nothing.

Debbie and Matt said...

Dont you worry!!! I know what u mean though... we thought we were a-ok last year and then I totaled the car... Yup... we had to fork out another 5,000 to buy a new one.. SUCKED SO BAD! You are a strong woman.. someday we will get to play!

Post a Comment