CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 3, 2009

Wrong Prayer

I read a scripture yesterday that really popped out to me and wanted to share it. In Romans 8:26 it reads "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." This particular line really struck me, and while I am no wise interpreter of scripture I pondered this line and found my own personal application. So often when faced with trials I have prayed for Heavenly Father to fix it or take it away. It wasn't until a recent discussion with my Bishop that I was shown that this is wrong. Yes, wrong. If we truly understand the gospel we will not desire for our trials to be taken away, but to be strengthened to overcome. This truth has shaken me, and made me really think about my prayers in general. How often is it that I am praying for the wrong things? They may not necessarily be bad, but I may not be getting answers because I am asking the wrong questions. By praying for Heavenly Father to take away my problems, I am losing an opportunity to learn and grow and to become stronger and more trusting in His plan for me. Alma and Amulek are a great example of praying for the right things. When they were bound in prison and watching their brothers and sisters be tossed into the fire, they didn't ask the Lord to break down the prison walls or loosen their bands, but they prayed "O Lord, give us strength according to our faith which is in Christ, even unto deliverance." Alma 14:26 By praying for strength to overcome and through their faith they were able to break the cords that bound them. I have lately been praying to know the right things to pray for... if that makes any sense. I think as humans we often pray for the wrong things without realizing it. We pray and know the things we are praying for are good, but in what way are they good? Is what we pray for really going to benefit us, not just temporally, but spiritually? I've made it a point not to pray for Heavenly Father to change my circumstances anymore, but instead for the strength to overcome. I have already felt a change in my heart and a growing faith in my Father and also in myself. Because of my Savior it is possible for me to overcome all challenges sent my way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment