CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Back to School?

Yup, in my recent time off I've been doing alot of pondering and praying about what's next. Do I look for another job and get sucked back into the world of banking that I've so desperately wanted to escape for some time now? The hours are great and the pay is decent, but it wasn't really gratifying at all for me. Is it too much to ask for it to be gratifying? Maybe. A few people suggested I go back to school, but I brushed it off. I was filled with excuses like I didn't know when we'd be moving and I'd hate to start and then be stuck here mid semester while my husband goes off to another state. I also had not the slightest clue what I'd want to study. BYU was a joke for me. Not because it was easy at all, because it certainly was quite the opposite. It was more that I did not take it seriously especially my freshman year as someone of my freshman buddies may attest to. I spent the majority of my freshman year screwing around, staying up all night playing goofy night games and breaking into school buildings in the middle of the night to watch movies on the big screen... what was i thinking???! Since I took school so lightly you can probably imagine what my GPA was like. Got a number in your head? Lower. Trust me, much much lower. It was bad. So pretty much going back to school means starting over for me. I wouldn't even want to bother transferring any of my credits because it would hardly be worth it. That GPA would drag me down for a very very long time, and I just don't want that.
Two days ago I finally put my application in to the community college and plan on attending this fall if I can qualify for the in state rates. That's a long story in itself so I won't go into it. I'm looking at going into Dental Hygiene. I figure I'll get most of my pre-req's done here and then transfer to Pima Community College in Arizona, finish up the rest of my pre reqs and then apply to the program. I feel good for the first time a long time about this decision. It's just a matter of following through and hopefully the pieces will fall into place. Prayers are appreciated and any advice as well!

3 comments:

Holli said...

SWEET! That's awesome Cyd. Trust me, I feel ya on the GPA, screwing around in College thing. I didn't do so hot myself... and it can be a pain re-doing all the wrongs. But, I feel confident that you'll love it. I have friends that went through dental hygenie school. It wasn't easy but, they all loved it. You'll learn a lot. And, it's a useful skill that you can use wherever you live. Very smart... I think you'll do great. Plus, you've always had such great teeth...

Leslie said...

Cyd I know how your feeling, I am going to be going back to school kind of in a few months. I am getting my teaching certificate. Like you I wondered for along time if I should go back and do something different. But you definately don't want to be stuck in a job that you don't enjoy. If we aren't happy its hard for our families to happy. Do something you are going to love. Im sure you will be a great dental hygenist.

Angie Olson said...

Hi, Cyd! I'm excited to see your blog. And good luck with school!

Post a Comment