CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 11, 2008

If I love Him...

Well I survived through my lesson. I spent quite some time on my knees and felt that my lesson went well. Maybe I didn't change any one's life, but I know I was touched by my Savior. They say often time we are asked to give talks or teach lessons for our benefit if not anyone else's. While I don't think I learned anything new, I was gently reminded of things I already knew. Visiting teaching is not always the easiest thing to do. There are always a million reasons not to do it. Lack of babysitting. Lack of vehicle. Gas is too expensive. I dislike my companion. I feel uncomfortable around people I don't know. etc. etc. These were a few of the things that came up in Relief Society about why someone wouldn't go visiting teaching... but the blessings promised are so great. As we strengthen our relationships in the church our feet stabilize and grow stronger in the gospel. As we nurture others, we in turn are fed. It's a beautiful cycle that can bless us as much or as little as we allow it to. Visiting teaching still terrifies me on a small level, but I know I need to do it. You never know what someone may be going through. We might not realize how desperately they needed that phone call from you or the lesson you were prompted to give. We have an opportunity to change people's lives. The results may not be overnight. We may never even see the results ourselves, but that doesn't mean they won't come.

"So when they had dined Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17

The Lord never asks of us more than we are capable, and He will ALWAYS bless us for following His commandments. So then we must ask ourselves, do we really truly love Him? We will always fall short, but we must never give up the battle. We must strive to stand a little taller, reach a little deeper. Only then will we come to know the Lord, and come to really know ourselves.

The visiting teaching assignments were conveniently handed out right after my lesson. I pray I can be an example and be in tune with the Spirit. It will certainly be a challenge, but the good things in life never come easy!

3 comments:

Holli said...

I like this... makes me want to go visiting teaching. :)

Daniel & Jessica said...

It's true Cyd, you may not receive a "blessing" for actually visiting teaching, but you never know whose life you may touch. A quick story: When I first arrived at BYU, I hated it, and when I say HATE, I MEAN H-A-T-E! I had the MOST AMAZING visiting teacher, Ellen. She came every month, not just to give a lesson on the last day, but to truly be my friend. She constantly dropped by to say hi, see if I needed help, drop off cookies, etc., etc...(the list is endless!!). And because of her, I felt love and all my loneliness and hate for BYU disappeared. Visiting teaching is an amazing blessing for not only those who do it, but also for those who receive it. I hope you will always remember that. We never know what anyone else is going through, but by becoming a friend, we can automatically make life easier. Just wanted to share that with ya. Love ya girlie!

Cyd said...

Thanks Jess, I have similar experiences. We never know what great things will be accomplished by the small and simple acts of today.

Post a Comment