CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Unemployed

Yesterday was a bad day to say the least. It's official I am no longer employed. After a week of hearing that my job was in limbo due to a bank loss that was incurred by one of my tellers accepting a fraudulent check that I signed off on, a decision was finally made that someone had to take the blame. I pulled the short straw and got the boot. Unbelievable. It was kind of shocking and their was this mixture of fear, rage, and relief.
So what's next? I'm probably only going to be here a few more months and who's going to want to hire me on that basis? I really prefer to not have to lie flat out, but what other choice would I have? US Bank is truly one of the worst places I have ever worked. I worked with great people personally, but as a company they have no appreciation for their employees. Let me rephrase that, they seem to appreciate the people in big suits, but tend to conveniently overlook us little people. Ah, what can you expect from a big company right? Well lucky me, this is not that first national financial instituion I've worked for. Wells Fargo Bank on the other hand, is a great company to work for. I won't lie, I've had many days at that bank where I wanted to shoot myself in the eye. It's a job like any other job, and some days you are simply going to hate it. But Wells Fargo Bank, unlike US Bank who claims to compete, are night and day. Wells Fargo made every effort to show us we were appreciated. They also made it a company wide message and attitude in all ranks of management to find ways to recognize their employees. And this they did. Apparently US Bank has some time of recognition programs, but for some reason I heard very very very little about them. At Wells Fargo Bank, I never feared for my job. They understood that being on a teller involved a much more difficult process than most give credit for. With fraud at the levels that it is today, you are not going to escape having losses. In a perfect world, every teller would catch every bad check and every scam, but then again, in a perfect world there just wouldn't be any fraud to catch. US Bank has instilled fear in all of their employees from the moment I stepped my foot in the door in November 2007. It doesn't take long to see that it only takes one mistake and you are out the door. I was only there a couple of months before I saw the first person lose their job. In the short 8 months that I've been there I've seen at least 3 get the boot. The best thing about the whole situation is that US Bank is too cheap to invest in better training for their employees! It was truly shocking to me witness the complete lack of investment in their employees. Wells Fargo had extensive training for all of their employees, not only as a new employee, but they do continuous training and classes and also have excellent web based training. I could say other wise for US Bank. The list goes on and on and all in all I should be grateful that I don't work for that company anymore, but unfortunately I still have bills to pay.
Daniel would argue we can make it. Sure money will be really tight, but he thinks I should just take a breather for the next few months since the likelihood of him getting the job in AZ is high. I was never really one to leave things to chance. I'm a "control your own destiny" type of person, and don't have much patience for the "wait and see" ideals. But then again... a breather would be sooo nice. I might go visit my mother in law in Canada for a couple of weeks. I don't know. I suppose I will try to adopt this "wait and see" temporarily. Besides after the turmoil of working for US Bank I sure as heck think I deserve this break!

2 comments:

Holli said...

That sucks! I'm so sorry - I was SURE you'd be ok.

Listen, don't sweat it. Working for a company like that, you're probably better off.

I understand your need to work but maybe it would be good to have a bit of a vacation before you move. Who knows when you'll be able to see those people again? And, since you were fired, can't you collect unemployment?

Cyd said...

I am applying for the unemployment so we'll see if that goes through or not. In the meantime I'm brainstorming some different ideas to escape the realm of banking period. One door closes and many more open.

Post a Comment