CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Do You Go To College?

Do you ever have random small experiences that just make you realize how blessed you are? Today was like any other day. I went to school. I drove home and debated meeting my aunt to go walking and finally forced myself to do it. Drove home and as I was getting out of my car a boy about my age, maybe a little younger, said, "Do you go to college?" I had my pink back pack strapped to me and my Rio Grande parking pass hanging in my rear view mirror. I figured it was obvious, but decided to be kind. I told him "yes, I do." He then got this wistful look on his face and said "I really want to go to college. How do you get to go?" I was a little taken aback by this question, as I figure most people get help with this process in high school or from parents, etc. "Well... you have to apply." That came out more like a question then a statement because I was still trying to decipher if this kid was playing a joke on me. He then said "Don't you have to take SAT's or something?" Deciding he was sincere I responded, "well different schools require different things, so if you really want to know you should look up some phone numbers of schools you might want to go to and ask them what they require and they can tell you what you need to do." He just kinda nodded his head. Making more of an effort now, I said, "So what school do you want to go to? Rio? Marshall?" He just shrugged his shoulders and said "any school. I just want to go to college." At this point I was nearing the door to my apartment so as final encouragement I told him, "It's worth it. You should definitely look into it." And he broke out into this big smile with some of his teeth missing and others rotting away and said "Thanks for your help!" As I walked up the stairs to my apartment I started pondering how I get down about not having the opportunities that some of my more financially well off friends have had as far as going through college. My parents wanted to help, but they just couldn't afford to pay for me to go to school. I was also the oldest and so I think maybe they weren't exactly sure what to do, but they did the best they could. But I was definitely envious of those who had parents who put their kids through school without them ever having to work a job to support themselves. Seeing this boy today has given me a little reminder that I may not have had it as easy as I would have liked, but there are others who have it much worse. It may have taken me a while, but I'm in school NOW. I'm happy and today I think I'll count my blessings.

3 comments:

Holli said...

This made me cry. How sweet. And, yes, I can relate a bit. I WISH I WAS IN COLLEGE!

Daniel Van Orman said...

probably the best blog entry you have ever written. I love it!

Allison said...

I love this post Cyd! It is so true, sometimes i forget how blessed I am! Thanks for the reminder.

Post a Comment