CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Nail Kits from the Dead Sea or something like that

Mondays are Daniel's day off and because I didn't have anything going on at school, I decided to take a "sick" day and go play with my hubby. We decided to take a trip to Huntington, WV (the closest city to us) and go shopping, eat dinner, see a movie, etc. While at the mall an overly friendly man in his late 20's was standing at a kiosk with a tray of lotion samples. I had no intention or interest in trying this lotion, but as the tray was thrust in my face along with a big smile, my heart softened and I reached out and took a sample despite knowing what would follow.
The man proceeded to tell me about this wonderful nail filing kit that would smooth away all the ridges from my nails and only needed to be maintained once a month and he even was kind enough to let me smell all 4 scents that they carried.
"Which is your favorite?" he asked.
"Well... uh... I think I like the Olive." As I said this I knew I was setting myself for trouble. I walked into the trap knowingly and now was looking for the most polite way to disappoint the guy. He quickly grabbed a new package of the Olive Box and held it out towards me expectantly.
"Take it." he said. I just kind of stared, at this point starting to feel uncomfortable. "Today we're having a special since it is Columbus Day. Usually this is 79.99, but today we are selling them for 49.99!"
I could already felt the guilt setting in. Ration told me it would be silly to buy this product, especially since I've been suckered into buying something similar a few years back and never ended up using it. But the guy was staring me down with these beady little eyes like he wouldn't take no for an answer. Nevertheless, I said "I don't think so, but I'll think about it."
"Listen, I'm going to do you a favor. Tell me somebody you'd like to get a Christmas gift for."
Uh are you kidding? I just said no, buddy. I just smiled politely and said "I'm sorry, I really don't think I want to pay $50 for this."
He nods and says "just a moment" and then walks over to his cash register to look at some folded piece of paper. He smiles and comes back over. "I have a great deal for you. I am going to sell you the buffer and the cuticle oil for only $25 and toss in these other two things free of charge! Take it!"
At this point, I'm starting to get mad. This guy just can't take no for an answer and now he is being a little too pushy. Still, I managed to keep my cool and hoping the guy would back off I said "Well, I still have more shopping to do, so I will think about that deal and I might come back later."
The guy took a step back and looked as if he was going to chop my head off. "Are you joking with me?! That's less than 1/3 of the original price! I can't believe you wouldn't take this deal!" He was clearly upset with me and for some reason thought he could make me purchase his product by the means of making me feel like an idiot. Sorry bub, I don't think so. Honestly, what is wrong with people? I used to work in sales so I know the pain and anguish of it, but goodness gracious! I hate people who think it's okay to get mad just because they didn't sell their stupid product. I was fuming for the rest of the time we were at the mall and was tempted to go back and take his stupid olive scented nail kit and smack him over the head with it. Luckily my rational husband was there to talk sense into me, but it did take me a little bit to simmer down. He better just hope I don't come back to that mall alone... ;)

2 comments:

Holli said...

Don't get me started! We have the same guys. One actually reached out and grabbed my hand once and tried to pull me to his booth. He said something like, "Oh, you're nails look horrible. Let me show you something..."

I felt like saying, "They might look horrible but they sure will do a fine job clawing your eyes out, buddy."

In reality I just jerked my hand back and said, Not interested. I swear, you can't even make eye contact with those guys without getting caught in that web of sales pitch.

Daniel Van Orman said...

next time that happens, hopefully by then I will be a federal agent so i can pull out my concealed gun, put him on the floor with one of those sweet moves they teach you and literally make him poop his pants. then say "I hope you put on those dead sea diapers. From now on you show respect to the ladies. especially this sweet little thing. got it? Because in OUR country, when a woman says 'no' it means no buddy." or something like that.

I do have to admit, when I saw you go for the lotion, i was like "oooooooh crap" then i thought to myself "i guess she is gonna learn this one the hard way." little did i know HOW crazy this dude was going to get. hahaha makes for a great blog entry though! :)

Post a Comment